Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Annie Starts Kindergarten





Yesterday, Annie started Kindergarten, and it couldn't have gone better. We got up early, and I made her favorite breakfast--pancakes! She was a little nervous when we left and got really quiet in the car. When we got to the school, she looked a little like a deer in headlights, trying to take it all in. When we got to her class, we found her spot and hung up her backpack. I could tell that she was beginning to relax. Mrs. Anderson told the kids to tell their parents "bye", and Annie gave me a big smile and wave from her spot on the mat. At that point, I knew everything was going to be okay. I only had a few tears as I walked out of the school. (Probably b/c the night before I had a good cry!) When I picked her up from school that afternoon, she was so happy. She told me how much she loved her teacher and class, and how kindergarten was SO MUCH better than preschool. She told me all about the cafeteria and lunch menu. The playground, the gym, and the rules for those areas. I was so happy that she was so excited and talking so much! My little girl is really growing up. It is so bittersweet b/c I have been at home with her ever since she was born. I am really going to miss being with her during the day, but I know that she is ready and eager to learn knew things and be with new kids. She is going to do great, and it feels good to know that she is ready. When she got home we had a little celebratory tea party with lemonade and a cookie cake! George was very excited to see her. I know that he is going to miss her, too. They are so close. Molly and Mary came over, and it was fun to all be together for our afternoon snack. Everything went well this morning, and I know it is going to be a great year for Annie. Full of new experiences, new friends, and new growth!
Annie with Mrs. Anderson at orientation, and finding her place on the rug at the start of class.

2 comments:

Molly Bittle Puryear said...

She looks so big in these pictures... wow. Will you send me the picture of Annie and I from the day of her kindergarten meeting?

Abby said...

Hi Julie!!! I can't believe we have kindergarteners! I'm glad Annie is settling in well at her new school! Maddy is too. It may take me a while to adjust!